16 Jun 2016 What are your backlinks worth?
Let us assume that you currently have 100 external pages linking to your site. But does each of the backlink contribute equally towards your Domain Authority(DA)? Let us look at different factors that determine the valuation of each link.
First check for “Do Follow” and “No Follow” tag
This is the first and most important factor for a backlink. “DoFollow” link passes the link juice to the destination URL where as a “No Follow” link does not pass any link juice or page authority from the referring domain to the link destination.
To check whether the link you have received is a “DoFollow” or a “NoFollow”, simply right click on the referring page and choose “view source code”. If you see the attribute rel= “nofollow”, you can be sure that this is a “NoFollow” link, that is not passing any PA (Page Authority) to your site.
However, you will not see a “DoFollow” link in the source code. The absence of a “nofollow” tag indicates that the link that you have received is a “DoFollow” one ( basically the opposite of “NoFollow”).
Links from social sites like Facebook, Pinterest are all typically “nofollow” ones.
So when you are undertaking an ‘unnatural’ link building exercise, the aim is to get a “DoFollow” link.
As a referring domain owner, it is important to take advantage of the “nofollow” tag for choosing which external links you want to share your PA with. Ideally, you would want to share the link juice with the sites who have earned it by meritorious content or a reciprocal link or other valid reasons.
Other factors that determine value of your backlinks –
- Trustworthiness of the linking domain
- Popularity of the linking page
- Content Relevancy between the linking page and your content
- Anchor Text used for the link
- Number of variations in the anchor texts linking to your page
- Number of links that the source page is giving to your page
- Number of unique domains linking to your page
External links are considered as the most important source of ranking power and therefore, climbing up the SERP (search engine ranking position) ladder. Here is some additional reading for link building and backlinks valuation –
- All Links are Not Created Equal: 10 Illustrations on Search Engines’ Valuation of Links
- Growing Popularity & Links
- You can check all the backlinks data for your website at Google Search Console or by using Ahrefs SEO Tool